Friday, June 13, 2008

Til We Have Faces -a book review

Til We Have Faces was written beautifully. The characters were real, the story believable, passionate, and gripping.

I set about reading this not knowing what to expect, having pulled it off the library shelf without knowing a thing about it. I didn't know it was a retelling of Cupid and Psyche until halfway through, when I read it somewhere. I'm unfamiliar with it, but I like myths.
Strangely enough, though, I felt very unsatisfied when I reached the end of the book. I felt as though it had no definite meaning or resolve. Of course it had a moral. It was full of philosophy and theology, all about the conflicts of emotion and knowledge, the spiritual and physical.
Somehow it just felt to me that after all the conflict, it simply ended with few enlightened, and everyone dead.

Of course, this is coming from a happy-ever-after lover. So, take it with a grain of salt.

1 comment:

  1. books like that disappointed me too. I*m reading "A Wrinkle In Time" I read it in 6th grade & loved it, i bought it a few weeks ago but im just getting around to reading it. lol i wanted something to read, this post was so short.

    ReplyDelete

YAY! I'm so glad you're leaving a comment. ^.^