Thursday, May 27, 2010

Domesticities: baking cookies

My family loves me.

Probably because I keep making cookies.
It all started about 3 weeks ago when I really really wanted some chewy chocolate cookies.
I ended up with this recipe. It's perfect!!

Just like a brownie - crinkly top, chewy edges, soft middle... YUM.
Their only downfall is they're not nearly so yummy two days later... But why let them sit that long anyways?

About the same time as I discovered the chocolate cookies, my friend shared with me some food blog on which the author was talking about using roasted flour. Intriguing! Tuesday I printed off her "squeeze cookie" recipe and gave it a try.
I decided to shape my cookies with a tablespoon instead of squeezing them. Delicious! My mom declared them pretty much the best cookies ever and demanded I make more. They're like a cross between shortbread cookies and sugar cookies - and since these were so thick they were a little cake-like in the center. Buttery, crumbly goodness.

I told her I thought they would be better if they were a little smaller, but I was at a loss for how to shape them. She suggested the pretty fluted sugar spoon. Brilliance! I ended up with a pan full of pretty shell-shaped cookies! They are absolutely perfect with a cup of hot coffee.
And there you have it.
I think I need to go eat another one...

6 comments:

  1. YUM! You've got me craving cooking like crazy right now! Your descriptions were making my mouth water. I think it's time for lunch now. And by lunch, I mean a massive handful of cookies baked by you. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly! I'd mail you some, but I'd be afraid they'd crumble and get all stale before they got to you! You'll just have to make them yourself. It's part of the fun, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ideas of tools to shape those roasted flour cookies -- the result is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im gonna try the first one!! They look SOOOOO good!! I LOVE cookies like that too!!
    I love the way the shell ones look!! Cute!!!

    Sami(I dont want to sign out of Momas.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! They look so good! I*m definitly going to try them, i work all week this week but I*ll FIND time for cookies :) I*ve gotta make my brother & all the vultures he works with brownies for tuesday. lol keep um coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried the Chocolate ones this weekend and they were a BIG hit!!!!! They were SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOo good!!!! I wanna make more but we need more chocolate chips....

    Sami

    ReplyDelete

YAY! I'm so glad you're leaving a comment. ^.^