Friday, December 4, 2009

Improv Chicken Pastina is Good

That was a very random title.
However, it is the subject of this post, so maybe it's not too random.

I've never cooked pastina before. 4 o'clock came and I didn't know what to do for dinner. Frozen roast wouldn't cook fast enough. Frozen chicken would! So I pan-seared some frozen chicken with a couple cloves of garlic. (the great thing about cooking chicken that way is that it makes it so flavorful. chicken likes to be bland sometimes.)

While it was cooking, I decided to use that pastina that's been sitting in the pantry looking so cute. I went down to the basement and came back up two or three times in an effort to think of something to go with the chicken. Soup was not an option. Well, it was, actually... but I didn't want soup. But I did want pastina. And chicken.


So. I chopped up some carrots, celery, bell pepper, and onion suuuuuuper finely and sauteed them. Then I cubed the chicken and mixed everything together - chicken, pastina, and veggies. It was good, but it needed a little more flavor. So I made a little bit of sauce - chicken mushroom sauce with a splash of soy sauce - and poured it in. Perfect.

Then I served it with steamed cabbage and proceeded to be in awe of my improvisational cooking skillz. Thank you, mother. :)

Now I'm going to go wrap presents and listen to my new Louis Armstrong Christmas CD.
If only I had some cocoa!

What sort of Christmas music do you enjoy?

Caitlin

1 comment:

  1. I had never even heard of pastina before I read this post, but it sounds delicious- especially the way you prepared it! I'll have to give it a try sometime.

    My favorite Christmas music comes from a series called "A Very Special Christmas". It's a compilation that comes out every year with popular artists covering Christmas songs (or, in some cases, writing new songs for the holidays). Some of the best ones are "Christmastime" by The Smashing Pumpkins, "Blue Christmas" by Sheryl Crow, "Oi to the World" by No Doubt, and "Christmas All Over Again" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The whole series is awesome though, so check them out if you're into that type of thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete

YAY! I'm so glad you're leaving a comment. ^.^