Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Longest Valentine

I know it's late, but it's still Valentine's Day. :)

I hope you've had a nice day. I got lots of chocolates from my preschoolers yesterday and today. That was really nice. Honestly, I've just wanted to pig out and eat them all up. But I haven't!

My favorite in the 3 year old class is Julia. She calls me Aunt Caitlin. I don't know why, but I awfully like it. lol She's not my favorite because of that, though. Her little valentine said "to Aunt Caitlin" on it, which I thought was sweet, since her mommy wrote it for her. And I almost wrote "from Aunt Caitlin" on the one I gave her, but I didn't want her mom to freak out and be all like "Who does this girl think she is, calling herself "Aunt Caitlin"?!" ...anyways. Yes, it's just a silly little nothing, but I like being a fake aunt. LOL

I wanted to write a thought-provoking, eloquent post. It didn't work out. I specifically told Anne that I didn't want to just sit and ramble til I end up saying something, but that's what I'm doing now - apparently it's what I'm best at.

So. Valentine's Day. We've never made a big deal of it around here. Our aunt usually sends us something sweet. Isn't that nice of her! But that's about it. Not that I don't like it. It's just not a big deal.

I think it's sad that so many people think a romantic relationship is necessary for complete happiness. It's not. There is only one relationship that will make a person complete. What people fail to see a lot of the time is that if you have a thriving relationship with God, everything else will fall into place. In His time, of course, and in His way (which may or may not be pleasant for you), but if you truly have a right relationship with Jesus Christ, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit, you will have a surpassing joy and peace and fulfillment that can't even compare with the strongest, most devoted, fairy-tale, human love.

And here I insert that I haven't the time and energy at this moment to define "right relationship" and the differences in what we call "happiness" and holy peace and joy. Although if anyone would like for me to expound, I would be happy to some day (soon?) when I have a little more "umph" in me. :D

Nor is this to say that I'm not like every other girl who wants a Prince Charming, either.

But it is awfully thrilling to know that I'm a Princess of the King of Kings, and he loves me with the most perfect, completely incomprehensible love ever. The Charmingest of all Prince Charmings can never live up to the love I already receive.

God is love. We've all heard it over and over, right? But think about it. What is love? It's hard to define. There are so many different kinds of love, and ways of showing love. Everything you can think of that is love, God is.

I said this last year during Valentine's season, but I'll say it again. It stands to reason that the God who *is* love is not limited to "types" of love. His love must be unmeasurably the strongest parental love, the sweetest brotherly love, and the most passionate romantic love together; the perfect love "which passeth knowledge." For as long as God is, we can't define love in it's fullest. It's beyond us. He is love. Selfless, giving, forgiving, eternal, unconditional love.

Don't be discouraged or lose hope when you're going through a tough time. You don't know how it's working things out to your good. I pray that God will grant you strength to bear it, so that you will be able to understand just how strong, and powerful is this love that passes all human understanding, and gives you such fulfillment in life. Give glory to Him; He can do more for you than you could ever even think to ask for.
( a very short, Caitlin translation of Eph. 3:13-21)
1st John 3:1(a.) "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God"
Upon confessing our unworthiness, and accepting Christ's love (that he was already giving, even though we weren't responsive), we are drawn into His family and are worthy to be called the children of God. Kind of like the earthly way of a bride becoming part of the groom's family.

There are points I haven't covered, but I already mentioned that I was too tired to hit them all. I think it would take too long, too. You guys probably don't want a book out of me. LOL I promise, I don't count myself an expert, either, so do speak up if you have a word. :)

So, my basic point is this: I like Valentine's Day. I'm all for romance. But if LOVE himself doesn't satisfy you, kisses and roses from a human aren't going to, no matter how perfect they are, or how happy they make you feel. Think about God's love, and rest in him. He wants to be loved back too, so don't ignore the One who loves you most.

All said, if you're reading this, I must love you in some sort of way, and I wish you a Happy Valentine's Day. :)
~Princess Caitlin

P.S. This is probably the longest valentine note you've ever gotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY! I'm so glad you're leaving a comment. ^.^