Wednesday, July 22, 2026

A list from the wedding weekend

 Funny how a happy occasion can leave you with the sads...



Things that form a lump in my throat at my youngest brother’s wedding:

  • My middle brother hugs me, and in this hug, I feel my dad.

  • Mama cries silent little tears as she walks up the aisle and takes a seat.

  • My baby brother stands at the altar, so young and handsome in his blue suit.

Things that make me cry in earnest at my youngest brother’s wedding:

  • The bride is walking down the aisle and I suddenly recognize the instrumental is “Forever and Ever, Amen.”

  • My brother’s eyes are shining, full of awe and pride, maybe fear, definitely joy.

  • The maid of honor is the bride’s sister, and her lips wobble the same as mine when the couple face each other at the altar.

  • During the mother-son dance, I say I’m proud of who he’s grown up to be. My friend says, “You should be. You had a lot to do with that.” I hope she’s right.

Things that don’t seem to affect me, but that I sob about later, when I’m alone:

  • My mom and her boyfriend enter the reception. The DJ announces, “the mother and father of the groom.”

  • I haven’t seen Pepa since Mema’s funeral, and there he is, and she is not.

  • The groom dances with his wife, and he is a man, and I know that I don’t know who he is.

  • There is no photo taken of all of us, together, the siblings, just us, on this day.

  • I live so, so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY! I'm so glad you're leaving a comment. ^.^